[600MRG] ICOM R70 Receiver, continued

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Fri Jul 1 20:24:44 CDT 2016

TKS for the suggestions guys.  It looks like the successor model, the ICOM R71 had a battery powered memory backup feature.  The R70, which is my model, did not have such a feature.  The R70 schematic does show two AC line operated power supplies. One of which is titled "memory." If there is a rechargeable battery shown on the schematic, I have yet to find it.  I can find no mention in the R70 manual of a back-up battery.

Bill Isakson suggested that my receiver's loss in memory was due to the manner in which I was turning off the receiver.  He asked if  I was killing the line voltage to a power strip.  YES INDEED, that's what I am doing!  I guess if the AC line was live, and I turned off the receiver using the front panel power switch, the so-called "memory power supply" would be live. Thus on turn-on, the receiver would remember where it left off.  Mystery solved.

However, in the interest of "safety," I will not discontinue the use of the "big kill-all switch" in my shack. I'll spend the half minute or so to redo the frequency and mode where I left off.

Thanks again for your suggestions-

  73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA