[600MRG] Class E Keying

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:12:16 CST 2016

Hi Frank,

I can't really comment much on what you have provided above but...

There is option for what you are using now that will work well.

I will be referencing the GW3UEP shaped keying circuit on his basic IRF540
amp and have placed a copy of the schematic on my website as it was not
explicitly linked on Rog's parent site:
http://njdtechnologies.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/GW3EUP-keyed-pa.gif

So lets say you wanted to key the base GW3UEP amp, which you already own,
in order to achieve improved harmonic performance on CW. In your case, you
would implement the portion of the circuit at the top right of the
schematic built around the IRF9530 on the positive power lead input to the
amp.  Your driver could be any signal source and you simply key the
positive lead with a signal applied to the input.  The rise and fall times
are controlled and lead to a really nicely shaped waveform.

I have this particular keying method in my arsenal of 630-meter CW
transmitters, using Rog's homebrew VFO design based around a binary counter
feeding the input of the amp and I just key the power lead.  It works very
well and its very clean.  You might get better stability from a commercial
signal generator.  My VFO does tend to drift around a little but is often
pretty stable within a CW session.

That's one option.  I am sure you will get other recommendations.

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..