[600MRG] LF / MF Kit Transverter

J Mcvey ac2eu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 09:21:17 CDT 2016

Here is a pic my modified version of the dongle SDR project that was in the January issue of QST. The author offered a PCB and most of the parts in a kit for $60,
so I figure it would be easier that way. In fact, some of the parts as specified are no longer available  and modern subs had to be found. For $60, it all came in a bag so I didn't have to chase the parts.

The original project called for an addition 12v supply to run the converter.
IMO that was extra wires for no good reason, so added some filtering and tapped off the USB power. I happen to have lots of junk PCBS where I can harvest USB female connectors. I found a USB A to USB A 3.0 cable on Amazon for a couple of bucks to connect from the box to the computer.

It works pretty well, but I'm going to look into improving the sensitivity
on the low end (630M, 475Khz) . It may be the mixer module isn't up to the task or the high amplitude output from it may be de-sensing the dongle a bit.

Worst case scenario is to add a IGfet preamp. The main reason I built this was to monitor MW and VLF.

None the less, it was educational and I can now find my way around SDR.