[600MRG] WOLF; and 600m TA WSPR & photos by David G0MRF

Hans Summers hans.summers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:33:39 CDT 2016

Hi all

Couple of things of interest...

I added some photos David G0MRF sent me about his 600m Ultimate 3S
QRSS/WSPR TX (my QRP Labs product), you can see his work at the bottom of
the U3 builders page http://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3builders.html -
The U3S does a good job on 600m (see U3S info at
http://qrp-labs.com/ultimate3 ).

I know slightly off-topic here, because it's 136kHz LF not 600m... but just
wanted to point out also how Dave GW8GLO used his U3S to drive a modified
Decal 5501. A huge amount of work seems to have gone into that project and
the photos are worth admiring, see
http://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3builders/gw8glo.html

Finally a question - someone recently pointed out "WOLF" weak signal mode
for LF. I was not previously aware of it. They suggested I might want to
include it in the list of modes supported by the U3S Transmitter kit. Any
opinions? Is this mode popular enough to warrant the effort? If so, I would
probably have to produce a separate "MF/LF version" of the U3S firmware.
The 32K program space on the ATmega328 chip isn't enough to cram all the
needed modes. Splitting the firmware will probably happen anyway because I
am getting requests for JT65, FSK441 and ISCAT at the other end of the
spectrum, for 6m, 2m operation. I already implemented JT65 successfully in
a beta version. So probably I need to split out VHF, HF and MF/LF firmware
versions. Some modes (e.g. CW, WSPR, FSK etc) would be common to all but
some are clearly relevant only to VHF (e.g. FSK441) or LF (e.g. WOLF,
WSPR15).

Opinions on WOLF please!

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com