[600MRG] WD2XSH/20 receiving antenna

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sun Sep 27 17:05:22 CDT 2015

I've been testing my new DK6ED rx array so it's been very handy to have so
many signals on.  It appears that the antenna really does have >20 dB F/B in
both modes.  In one mode the -3 dB beam width is <80 degrees with deep nulls
off the sides and off the back.  Since the antenna is pointed 53 degrees
true it really kills many of your signals.  It's too narrow for a
non-rotatable antenna so mostly I've been using the broad pattern mode.  The
broad mode has a great F/B also but the front-rear is not so good, only -7
dB versus -18 dB for the narrow mode.

I've been using both the WSPR and BC signals to try to confirm the pattern.
I've not been transmitting however.  I found I have to O/C my transmit
antenna to reduce noise pickup even when the amplifier is not on.  With the
amp on, the noise is even greater.  For now I'm leaving the transmit antenna
O/C to hear better but in the next couple of weeks I'll install a relay at
the antenna.  I've installed the control cable just need to get to the
tuning box and fiddle a bit.

Because of Merv's comments on VK's I'll switch my patterns tonight from 53
degrees to 233 degrees which is within 20 degrees of VK and well within the
-3 dB pattern points.  Many of you have had very good signals out this way
but tonight those numbers may be much lower.  BTW some of your signals, and
not just my "locals", have had signals I can measure directly with my HP
spectrum analyzer!   The two minute duration of the WSPR signals is great so
I can use a very narrow bandwidth which has a long sweep time.

Hope I can decode a VK, will give it a shot tonight.

73, Rudy