[600MRG] NDB Antenna Calculator

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Sun Sep 27 16:27:18 CDT 2015

Ed -I think you may have lost sight of something - A "DC" measurement of coil resistance does not mean anything of consequence w.r.t. to RF losses in an inductor. I assume when you used the term "multimeter" you meant a DC measuring instrument like a VOM, VTVM?

 Besides skin effect losses, there are additional losses that show up at RF.  These additional losses will not show up with a plain DC resistance measurement. For that matter, coil inductance at 1000 Hz (a common measurement frequency for many low-$$ R-L-C instruments) also means little w.r.t. inductance at the operating frequency, and definitely for harmonic frequencies.  For example, I am sure we recall from the old days "dipping out a plate choke" to verify that at the amplifier's operating frequencies the choke does not become series resonant, or take on a capacitive nature at or near the operating frequency.

Have fun, be safe -

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA