[600MRG] Impedance at the end of a dipole(or vertical).

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Sat Sep 19 09:24:29 CDT 2015

Ken & all,

The old books mention antenna "End-Effect" which they claim to be due to the
capacitance of the end insulator. I was fortunate to find some foot-long
insulators years ago that I am still using.

A few Years back, the ARRL included a copy of the first Handbook when I
bought a new handbook. In the old book there is a discussion of
edgewise-wound and flat-wound coils. The difference in self-capacitance is
remarkable.
With modern lightweight plastics and spray-on tool-dip insulation, it might
be practical to use aluminium, copper, or brass strap flashing material and
make a flat spiral coil with a lot of self-capacitance to serve as a topper
for a vertical (with a "stinger" above it) or near the end of a dipole.

(Visualize a sloping loading wire from the top of a tower or pole.
Then add the flat spiral coil on a standoff between the wire and the tower.
The loading wire then provides a place for the current to go and get through
the coil.)

The thing that made my inductive top-loading possible was the realization
that the coil did not need to be structural.
Since I hung the top-loading capacitive flattop spreader from a tree,
weed-eater line supported the weight of the radiator below the coil for all
those years. "White-board" or other plastics can support the coil and the

The formulas for flat spiral coils are in the NBS book extract I put on the
web site in the bottom of the downloads.
73,
Pat /6