[600MRG] modeling tutorial

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Sep 7 23:45:32 CDT 2015

Wow!  What a story!  What a life experience!

I moved to AK in 1979 which coincided with the
end of the pipeline years (I left the LA area for
the same reasons).  I also moved with no job
in-hand.  I was lucky to meet several hams
working for the BLM at the Anchorage ham club
which I joined after a few months.  That led to
my summer job 1980-81at the Fairbanks BLM Wildfire Center Radio Shop.

Pacific Telecom (PTI) had just acquired
RCA-Alascom which was renamed Alascom.  I 1984 I
turned down an offer to be engineer with them
responsible for the state-wide mw sites for a
seasonal Tech job for a oil industry telecom
outfit (what a mistake).  It was the last job I
would have until 1989 when I went to work as VHF
marine radio opr during the Exxon Valdez
cleanup.  If I had taken the Alascom job I would
have certainly met Ed as some point.  So much
more I could comment on - but will defer that.

Does it occur to any of you than Ed would make a
perfect member of the 600m group!  We have no
stations that far north but I suspect he would be
workable from my location a lot of the time (350mi).

73, Ed - KL7UW