[600MRG] NDB Antenna Calculator

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Tue Oct 6 02:27:35 CDT 2015

Warren,

I guess if what you are analyzing is potential coverage of a BC or
NDB system then you factor in all these effects, but my understanding
was use of the NDB calculator for our purposes was to satisfy the
calculation of simple ERP for FCC compliance.

Even seasonal change in soil conductivity is not asked by the FCC
requirement.  Of course knowing more about the effects to
transmission may help improve performance but most of those factors
are just what you are handed with the environment that exists for
your location (assuming you do not own a texas ranch covering
thousands of square miles).

Most of us will have little choice in where the antenna is set
up.  Choice of antenna type may exist if you have enough room and I
suppose the field strength tests would be useful for deciding what to
use.  My property is 252x300 feet (1.735 ac.) which is probably more
than many have but much less that Rudy and others.  e.g. its too
small for a Beverage.  My Inverted-L takes a linear area of 130-feet
and ground plane area of about 100x100 foot.  About one third of my
land is forested covering a 60-foot deep damp hollow which will never
be cleared.  Also a private north-south airstrip borders me on the
west property line so this limits safe antenna heights to be about
ten foot over tree top (50-foot).

I live inside the Boreal Forest of the sub-arctic so not much I can
do about that.  I am in a rural area so houses are spaced at least
300-feet or more.  Fortunately utilities are buried so no interaction
with utility wires.  I have two 50-foot towers at the ends of my
inverted-L (the supports) which probably interact but may also
radiate parasitically.  Actual RF measurements are not far off of
those predicted with sw.

I do not have time to get into all the theoretical's of 600m as I am
also very involved in other ham radio pursuits and running a small
business at home.  Once I have my antenna tuned for best efficiency
then its time to transmit.  I'll add a shielded loop to that for
optional Rx and might I consider a flag type Rx antenna in the
future?  Maybe.  WSPR tests may prompt future experiments; we'll see.

73, Ed - KL7UW