[600MRG] From: Northwestern Division Newsletter ­ June 2015

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Fri May 15 14:03:48 CDT 2015

AMATEUR RADIO POISED TO GAIN ACCESS TO TWO NEW BANDS:
The FCC has allocated a new LF band, 135.7 to 137.8 kHz, to the Amateur
Service on a secondary basis. Allocation of the 2.1 kHz segment, known
as 2200 meters, was in accordance with the Final Acts of the 2007 World
Radio Communication Conference (WRC-07). The Commission also has
proposed a new secondary 630 meter MF allocation at 472 to 479 kHz to
Amateur Radio, implementing decisions made at WRC-12.

***No Amateur Radio operation will be permitted
in either band until the FCC determines, on
the basis of comments, the specific Part 97 rules it must frame to
permit operation in the new bands.***

Amateur Radio would share both
allocations with unlicensed Part 15 power line carrier (PLC) systems
operated by utilities to control the power grid, as well as with other
users. In addition, the FCC has raised the secondary Amateur Service
allocation at 1900 to 2000 kHz to primary, while providing for
continued use by currently unlicensed commercial fishing vessels of
radio buoys on the “open sea.”
--------------

Looks promising, though no idea on time line for
implementation.  Guess I will have to order my
new SYNTH boards for my Elecraft K3 to enable use
down to 472-KHz (actually good to 250-KHz without
modification of the general purpose band filter -
which has a forth coming modification kit).

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: