[600MRG] QEX Noise Canceller

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Mar 30 13:55:38 CDT 2015

On 30 Mar 2015 at 14:35, Brian Pease wrote:

> Without having seen the article, I assume that the "noise" antenna is
> placed much closer to the local noise source than the "receiving"
> antenna.

Not necessarily. The point Mike was making, a very valid point IMHO, is that
there is no way a short whip with a 25 dB amplifier on it can possibly hope to
feed enough noisy signal into the combiner to actually achieve proper
phase-cancellation.

>  The s/n ratio in the "noise" antenna will be poor, mostly
> noise.  This can be combined (subtracted) from the "receiving" antenna
> to cancel the local noise without canceling out very much of the desired
> signal.

Yes. That's how all those devices are supposed to work...

Ken W7EKB