[600MRG] Do you feel 630-meters is practical for ham use?

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Wed Mar 25 13:18:22 CDT 2015

 Another question:  Do you feel 630-meters is practical for ham use?

My experiments so far seem to indicate that a typical ham on a suburban lot could operate on 475-kHz under the ERP restrictions we envision.  That sort of station on CW he or she would produce reliable statewide coverage during the day, and regional, several-state-wide coverage at night.  Continental coverage would be possible using more elaborate, computerized, negative signal-to-noise ratio modulation techniques.

My station is described at

http://www.wd8das.net/630m.html

I've tried to keep the techniques I've used very basic and not exceed what would be "typical" for ham installations.  But as some guys have pointed out, I'm probably not a typical ham in terms of experience, knowledge, or drive.  What are your thoughts?  Do you feel 630-meters is practical for ham use?  Should an allocation be granted and hams give it a try?

Thanks...

Steve WD8DAS / WH2XHY

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/