[600MRG] G8 Storm

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Tue Mar 17 13:55:58 CDT 2015

>From Paul, NA5N..via Paul  w0rw
We're currently in the strongest geomagnetic storm this solar cycle, and it
has been a long duration storm, starting late last night.  The planetary K
index has been Kp=8 for the past six hours for a severe geomagnetic storm
(maximum is Kp=9).

Info at: http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

NOAA's description:

Power systems: Possible widespread voltage control problems and some
protective systems will mistakenly trip out key assets from the grid.
Spacecraft operations: May experience surface charging and tracking
problems, corrections may be needed for orientation problems.
Other systems: Induced pipeline currents affect preventive measures, HF
radio propagation sporadic, satellite navigation degraded for hours,
low-frequency radio navigation disrupted, and aurora has been seen as low as
Alabama and northern California (typically 45° geomagnetic lat.).

The lower HF bands are no doubt very noisy ... although, most QRPers aren't
using 40 and 80M right now anyway.

Here at work, the ionosphere is very unsettled, causing fast changing phase
delays on signals coming through our atmosphere and GPS signals.

This is not the end of the world, nor is HF propagation on the higher bands
effected much.  Just a bunch of noise on the lower frequencies, perhaps
continuing into this evening, and if it persists, maybe some northern lights
seen in the northern US states.

72, Paul NA5N