[600MRG] The Dallas Files

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 23:47:31 CDT 2015

 It is not that I  agree or disagree with the Lankford article on sync detectors, but rather it just didn't make much logical sense to me.  The conclusions seem "muddled".  If some particular receiver design feature doesn't work for your style of operation, then don't use it.   If you do want that feature, then find a design that works properly.  To instead write an article condemning the whole business just doesn't make much sense.

My own experience has been that the combination of properly-performing synchronous detection and selectable-sideband demodulation is the best technique I've found for demodulating AM signals arriving by skywave, suffering from multipath fading and adjacent channel interference.  When I use a receiver without my sync detector/independent sideband matrix (my adaptation of the Sony 2010 design) I find I really miss it. As you point out it is not always ideal - like when ham AM stations in QSO are not anywhere near the same frequency - but that's when you want a sync detector like mine that automatically goes to envelope detection when lock is lost.

This is a pet topic of mine - please forgive my unreasonable focus on what is certainly far from our main subject here...  -grin-

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.