[600MRG] Active Antenna Recommendation

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Fri Jun 19 11:51:31 CDT 2015

My comments assume a E-field probe antenna (which I will call a VPA for
Voltage Probe Antenna) is mounted on a non-conductive pole away from the
shack and fed with coax that has its shield well grounded at the base of
the pole.
For question (1), the decoupling may be needed only if one has problems
with mad made noise, which is typically worse at low frequencies.  One
way to get a feel for whether a common mode choke might help is to first
note how far the desired signals are above the mad made noise, then
completely isolate the receiver from ground by operating it from a
battery, and resting on a wood table.  It the noise drops, then a common
mode choke with a high impedance at that frequency range might help.
For question (2), I will muddy the waters some more.
A VPA will in fact work if placed with its lower end (where the preamp
connects) just above a large ground plane (or at ground level) , with
the coax shield connected to the plane or to the ground.  This will
provide a flat response at least up through the HF band, but the output
level will be _very_ low.  If it is atmospherically noise limited in
your receiver in the band of interest, then you are good to go.
I have actually modeled a VPA at different heights above ground and at
different frequencies using NEC4.  I assumed a 1 meter vertical "probe"
with the high impedance preamp connected between the bottom of the probe
and the top of a grounded metal mast, which simulates the coax shield of
the feedline.  At low frequencies, the VPA output with a 10 meter high
mast is roughly 6X (16dB) greater than the output of the VPA on a 1
meter high mast.
To try to remove the 1 meter probe as a factor, I changed it to a 1
meter long horizontal "T", then repeated the simulation.  This time, the
10m mast gave 8.6X (19dB) more VPA output than the 1m mast.
As a rule of thumb, VPA output seems roughly proportional (at low
frequency) to its mounting height above ground, except that that a
vertical probe will have some output at zero height.  When the mounting
height approaches 1/4 wave resonance at HF, this rule no longer applies
and gain will vary wildly with frequency.
Also, a VPA mounted (and grounded) at the center of a very large metal
roof would have a gain closer to its height above the roof than to the
ground far below.
VPA preamps typically have little or no voltage gain (such as AMRADs),
but have a gigantic power gain due to their nearly infinite input
impedance and 50-75 Ohm output.
For question (3), a cautious approach would be to slowly increase
transmit power (if possible) while monitoring signal output on the VPA,
possibly with an RF voltmeter or scope.  When the VPA starts to
saturate, you might be getting near the limit.  That said, some designs
can handle way more than that.  This is a good argument for mounting the
VPA as far from the TX ant as possible, and as close to the ground as it
can be and still work.  it does need to be in the open.