[600MRG] Antenna work

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Wed Jun 17 09:58:30 CDT 2015

WH2XGP has been off the air while modifying the TX vertical. Last night
was the first test run with the new model. It still needs some "fine
tuning" and a lot of mechanical work involving the guy lines but it
seemed to perform OK. WH2XGP will be on and off while I finish up but
any reports will be appreciated.

For those who asked:

Some background, vertical was initially installed over an abandoned 30
meter vertical project. That consisted of a pressure treated 4x4 post
set in concrete and surrounded with 16x 25 foot buried radials. Last
year the vertical consisted of a 23.5 foot piece of 4 inch irrigation
tube with loading coil on top of it. Above the coil was a piece of 3"
tube with top wire of about 150 feet running zig-zag towards one of my
other towers.

This spring, I buried another 48 radials for a total of 64. The new
radials ranged from 35 feet to 75 feet in length and filled the
available area bounded mostly by buried cables running to other
antennas. (I have about 10 miles of buried wire, coax, and control cable
in the dirt now!)

This latest modification was a bit more than I could handle (I'm getting
too old and weak for this crap!) and I wound up with less than I wanted.

What I wound up with (and all I could get up in the air without help):

The base section of 4" tube is now 34 feet. The same coil and 8.5 foot
3" tube sits on top of that base. The base insulator and pivot has been
beefed up so that in the future I can base load the whole thing for
possible 2200 meter work.

The single zig-zag wire has been shortened to about 90 feet and three
other top wires have been installed. None of the wires droop lower than
the top loading coil.

Overall height is now 45.3 feet.

Coarse tuning can be easily accomplished by dropping the end of the
zig-zag wire and changing it's length.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP