[600MRG] How Much Better Today?

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 10:17:08 CDT 2015

This will be a nice exercise for someone.  I have a logbook full of CW Q's
over 500 miles with most being in excess of 1300 miles with many of the
usual suspect, XJM leading the pack, if that data would be useful in
someone's analysis.

My first thoughts are the fantastic improvements in RX technology and the
fact that they continue to get better everyday.  I imagine a K3 or Ensemble
II LF adjacent to a Regen would show the modern stuff beats the pants off
the Regen, even with good quality RX antennas.  I think XJM actually tested
this since he built a regen so he may be able to comment with some real
data for someone doing the analysis.

XJM also pointed out at our hamcom discussion forum that rx antennas have
improved greatly and gotten smaller, referencing antennas like the K9AY
loop and other small, close spaced vertical arrays.. Beverages are not
necessary and perhaps not even as good in many respects due to the required
lengths at these freqs for a reasonable pattern.  I do think the smaller RX
antenna possibilities compared to the past are significant.  Along similar
lines, the good news is that there seems to be a lot of interest in the
topband community where good weak signals stations are already in existence
and only need to be outfitted to transmit.

SO I look forward to seeing this develop.

73!

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..