[600MRG] Strange Antenna Test

James Hollander mrsocion at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 11:35:42 CST 2015

John, I use an 80m attic 630m receiving antenna not too different from your geometry, so this is interesting.

Please post if you were able to estimate the radiation resistance.  Or can you perhaps estimate the actual radiated power of the 40m dipole by comparison of daytime signal strength in ground wave range compared to signal strength from a 630m vertical transmitting antenna if one is there.

Should we presume the current in the dipole went down to ground at one positive high voltage end and returned at the other negative high voltage end of the dipole.  If so, the ground resistance would be in series with skin-effect ohmic resistances of the ladder line and the dipole and all in series with the radiation resistance.

If the system was not perfectly balanced you may have had some common mode currents in the ladder line that radiated somewhat as well.  Can you say anything more about the coupling circuit and geometric symmetry of the antenna and its environment to give an impression of the degree of approximation to perfect balance.    -- 73,  Jim H  W5EST