[600MRG] ERP, EIRP, How & Why

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Jan 28 16:04:07 CST 2015

Ken,

Then all we can do is agree to disagree.  You are talking about power
gain and loss and calling it antenna gain.  As I already cited (Dr.
John D Kraus - author of "Antennas" and accepted authority defines
antenna gain = directivity).

I can agree that antenna modeling is only approximate and will have
disagreement between different models.  But most hams do not have the
instrumentation to do actual field strength measurements and rely on
models.  I cited mine with my measurements so you know how I arrived
at the Impedance and gain figures.

Many antenna sw include ground loss into their "gain" calculations so
the whole subject of gain is muddled.
Directivity of an isotropic radiator = 1 (0 dBi) thus it cannot be
negative else it is non-radiating (ergo dummy load).  Your gain
figures incorporate ground losses and radiation efficiency - thus we
agree to disagree.

My calculations were taken from Fritz's guidelines (best as I could
understand them).

I would like to see the spreadsheet that was developed to compare with my math.

As far as real ERP - I have no way to measure it (real variables are
much too complicated for mathematical computations  - thus we use
simplifying models).  Probably beat this topic to death? ;-)

73, Ed