[600MRG] Windows 10

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Feb 18 15:01:38 CST 2015

On 18 Feb 2015 at 15:39, Frank Lotito wrote:

> I assume we have all heard about the pending release of Microsoft's Window 10
> O/S (operating system).  I understand that for some 12 months after the new O/S
> release Win 7 and Win 8 owners can upgrade to WIN 10 for free.

In my experience of something like 30 years as an IT Profesional, I have
never recommended switching to any new MicroSoft OPSYS within less than
12 months after it comes out. It takes at least that long to find and eliminate
many of the worst bugs.

>  This new O/S
> begs the question regarding compatibility with older programs.

Well, I can assure you that Win7 is not compatible with any program which
would ordinarily operate within DOS, and some don't even operate correctly
within DOXBOX.

Generic CADD certainly will not...

>  For those with
> interests below the broadcast band, this might mean compatibility with EZNEC,
> ELSIE, CLASS E, Argo, ON7YD's QRSs / DFCW, WSPR, Spectran, Spectrum Lab, SDR
> receiver software, etc.

Well, in my case Specrtan and ARGO work fine within Win7. I can't speak to
the others.

>  Beta editions of WIN 10 are out there.  Anybody have
> experience running "lowfer" related programs on the beta edition of Win
10?

Not I.....yet....

Ken W7EKB