[600MRG] XPQ CW thru the daylight hours

Laurence KL7 L hellozerohellozero at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:26:34 CST 2015

Dave -

I should have been more specific  -   its 200W into the Inverted L with about 70ft vertical the rest horizontalish supported by a 75ft pine in the middle - I can run up to 500W but the pine needles sort of start humming, vibrating then ignite, pretty fireworks maybe -but  not good for the local environment as we dont have a lot of snow at the moment - :-)

Im guessing, actually a little more than guessing, that my ERP is close to 20W on a good day with the wind behind, but quote the local broadcast engineer when I asked him what he thought of the local ground conducitity "Its @#%#$@! " - insert you own word to match the poor glaciated morraines etc

 Here in Anchorage some 40 miles away I can hear the CW signal with a PL600 by the window  at 559 and upstairs in our emergency comms centre (Arco Centre, Dave)   - the signal sits at around 20 over 9 on an unresonated bit of seal blubber on the roof at 200ft agl - just -3dB from the 1430kHz  MW station running 1Kw just down the road from XPQ - so its radiating something...

Trouble is these dang mountains and how they knock off the low angle stuff that sometimes occurs on skywave on some bearing - dont help much on groundwave either - weve had virtually nil nights since Sept when high angle multi hop (up to 500 miles) has worked here - its been that bad...so mid West and even Okie and Texas have been poor at lower angles- it was much better in late Summer and early Autumn.

I got asked, quite rightly, what is 1/4Y? - which is my  UK version on an upside down quarter wave lambda.

Ill be back on either DFCW or WSPR later on - not sure yet.

Regards - and thanks for the direct emails chaps - Ive not had more than a couple of daytime reports but Alaska is a bit lite in listeners.

regards

laurence KL7L  WE2XPQ Palmer Wasilla