[600MRG] Ground Rods - Connection To -

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Feb 1 17:06:22 CST 2015

Just PS and ditto for what Brian said:

I have two 50-foot, one 70-foot and one 130-foot radial, all lying on
the ground.  There is one ten foot copper ground rod at the base of
the Invert-L.  Shorter radials are 2-foot chicken wire fencing lain
on the ground; the fourth is the shield of my 1-5/8 in hardline (used
at VHF) and grounded at both ends to ground rods.

With that meager system I measure R=18 ohms with the MFJ
analyzer.  Ground up here is typical sand-gravel alluvial (remnants
of glaciers) so not all that conductive.  Water table is about
50-feet (at nearby fresh water lake).  Soil is fairly moist with the
frequent rainfall in this maritime climate (salt water 2 miles west).

Idea for using chicken wire came from one of the group and was easy
to implement.  Since in summer I have grass to mow it is rolled up to
the base of the antenna.  I hold it down with several half cinder
blocks.  So far moose have not tripped and drug it (no problem in
winter under snow).  I do see detuning of the invert-L between frozen
ground and thawed ground (have taps about two turns apart on the base
coil (10-dia x 11-inches, 1/4-inch pitch No.12 copper).

been heard in Buffalo on WSPR.

73, Ed - KL7UW