[600MRG] K3s LF Frequency Variations

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Mon Dec 7 12:11:10 CST 2015

i have been testing my K3s on 480 kHz.
Lots of guys have seen a ripple or sawtooth wave on my signal on QRSS30.
i see the frequency corrections as a saw tooth wave correcting every 1 to 8 minutes.
If there is little temperature change there are fewer corrections.
i am using the High Stability TCXO (+/- 1 ppm).
i see the frequency variations on my ARGO also.
i told the K3s design team about the output variations and they said:
The behavior is normal.
    The KSYN3A uses a frequency (not phase) locked loop to keep the    output exceptionally clean in terms of phase noise.  The loop will    occasionally perform a small, typically sub-Hz frequency correction    of the synthesizer output based on comparison to the internal (or    external) frequency reference to maintain frequency accuracy.
    This means that the same behavior will be there whether or not a 10    Mhz external reference is used.
Maybe i could put the TCXO in a small oven.
Paul   wa2xrm