[600MRG] Measuring ESR

John Andrews w1tag at charter.net
Tue Aug 18 09:10:34 CDT 2015

Frank,

All of my ideas involve spending money! A part of the question is what
your application is for these capacitors. It's one thing to just weed
out the best bypass caps for a given frequency range, and another if you
are going to run real current through the cap. For bypasses, sub 1 Ohm
readings probably aren't necessary. But for tuning networks with high
circulating current, 0.1 Ohm may be a significant resistance.

Anyway, RF impedance bridges are nice for this. In the frequency range
you mentioned, the General Radio 916AL and 516C bridges (antiques, both
of 'em) are good. But a simple RF impedance bridge that has a 100 Ohm
pot isn't going to give you much resolution at the low end.

Of course, network analyzers are probably the best approach, and we've
come a long way since you had to have an HP beast that required 2 men to
lift. The AIM4170 and AIM4300 single-port analyzers would be perfect. I
have the 2-port version, the VNA2180, but that's overkill for component
measurements. Some of the various other antenna analyzers would be OK,
but I haven't done the research.

On the other hand, armed with a bunch of low ESR caps with known
parameters, you could make some substitution measurements with a signal
generator and a good RF voltmeter.

John, W1TAG