[600MRG] reformatted question on Path Loss

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Aug 12 09:20:34 CDT 2015

Ralph,

Thanks for the links.

The first one talks about VHF and HF NVIS which is interesting as a
comparison.  The final section that deals with 600m is apparently
accumulate empirical data and not a path loss formula as was what I
replied to.  I did not expect there would be a formula.

The 50% noise and 90% noise graphs are interesting in that my
measurements in summer of 2012 with Laurence showed my 13m vertical
with 35-dB SNR at 112km range is nearly 24/7 for the summer
months.  I suspect it is good 365 days/year.  This exceeds the top curve.

The ground conductivity maps are probably useful everywhere but
Alaska since longitude skips from 145 to 162 (I live at 151W
long).  Kind of interesting that the most populated region north of
latitude 60 is skipped.  Funny since this probably has the greatest
concentration of AM broadcast stations in NA north of latitude 60.

But the maps are great for the rest of you...even on Ellesmere Is and Hawaii.

73, Ed - KL7UW