[600MRG] Amp

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Mon Aug 3 14:55:49 CDT 2015

The idea in a non-linear amp is to keep the MOSFETs fully OFF (open
circuit) and fully ON (short circuit) while spending minimum time
(nanoseconds) in the linear transition region.  This minimizes heat
losses.  A high-current MOSFET driver IC works well.  The amps are
indeed like switching power supplies whether Class D, E, or whatever.
My 100W amp is more than 90% efficient, with most of the loss in the
toroids of the output circuit and low pass filter.  The MOSFETs run cold.