[600MRG] Amp

Jim Miller jim at jtmiller.com
Mon Aug 3 14:03:18 CDT 2015

The way I'm thinking about this is the drive to the finals (FETS usually)
needs to be hard and square at 472khz in order to achieve the desired
minimum switching transition times. This means the drivers need to hit the
finals with a 472Khz square wave. Anything less than a square wave at this
point will result in excessive power dissipation if this is a continuous
occurrence. Obviously not desirable.

OTOH a finely shaped, e.g, raised cosine (ok, I know its not optimal...) RF
envelope coming into the amp will have around a 5ms period of rising and
falling signal. How the predriver, driver and final stages deal with this
ramp will determine whether or not "key clicks" will result.

It seems to me that the amp will necessarily sharpen those transitions in
order to ensure than switching time at 472khz is minimized and therefore
produce broader CW signals than if a linear was used.

This should be easy to test on the air. I have a P3 and I'm used to seeing
"clicky" CW all the time in contests. I usually see a handful of 2-3khz
signals each time and occasionally a 5khz monster. If someone wants to do
an A/B comparison on the air let me know and I'll give a look. I don't have
a experimental license so I can only receive.

73

jim ab3cv