[600MRG] Amp

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Mon Aug 3 07:42:35 CDT 2015

I’ve run PSK on 600 and 630m with good results. Besides CW, it is a excellent mode for
live QSOs. Some years back I had a couple of long QSOs with WD2XSH/16 (Colorado
to Minnesota) using PSK31. It provided almost solid print at around 1 watt ERP during the
winter months. I ran reception tests during daytime that were quite reliable over ground
wave distances, even over mountainous terrain. As John noted, a linear amplifier is
required to run this mode. PSK31 signals are very spectrum efficient, another advantage
for the narrow band slice that will be available.

As time goes on other modes requiring linear operation will be available for experimentation
and general use. Seriously consider linear operation as a ‘must’ for any 630m amplifier project
you may be  planning.
73
Mike
WD2XSH/12