[600MRG] Amp

Jim Miller jim at jtmiller.com
Sun Aug 2 20:10:33 CDT 2015

Now that the K3 is getting closer to being a 630 capable machine and the
FCC is lumbering toward a band decision I'm thinking more about an amp. I'm
assuming the market is too small for an Elecraft offering.

The K3 puts out 1mW on the transverter output. I'm assuming that I'll need
50-100w to get to 5w ERP.

Assuming 100w for a minute and assuming 10-15db for the final amp stage
then you only need 5-10w before then. That should mean that even with poor
efficiency not a lot of power will be dissipated until the finals. That
means that I could keep the chain to that point linear and make the output
stage decision based on what modes are most prevalent.

I assume CW for historical reasons and JTXX for practical reasons, WSPR as
well. Not sure about PSK or other modes which would require a more linear
final.

So I could build a 1mW to 10W linear then wait and see about the finals.

Thoughts?

73

jim ab3cv