[600MRG] 2200 and 630 meters

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Wed Apr 29 13:29:28 CDT 2015

 Gentlemen - I don't believe requiring ARRL membership is necessary to get "learner's permit or journey man's license"  to operate on 2200 meters or 630 meters!  Requiring an ARRL nod of approval is like saying if you want to live here, you better be a registered Democrat / Republican if you want government services!  NO, and double no!!!

Besides, if by now there still is any lingering question whether or not PLC systems are vulnerable to amateur / experimenter (alla 47 CFR Part 5) for 2200 or 630 / 600 meter transmissions, someone at the government level has not been doing their home work!

Using the training argument just proposed, why not have a similar trainer / journeyman's permit for all transmissions, be the it amateur, CB, maritime radio, aircraft radio, etc when it comes to TVI / RFI?  I'm sure the FCC has reams of compiled complaints regarding those radio services wrecking havoc with TV sets, Hi-Fi sets, electronic organs, do-dad appliances, toys, etc, etc!

Last, all the hocus pocus regarding ERP / EIRP, and its calculation.  The "creator" is the only one who really knows what a particular station's ERP / EIRP is.  In the big scheme of things, big deal! Really gentlemen, if the 200 foot amateur antenna height limit is still on the books, just how may amateurs are going to be able to put up and maintain a 200 foot tower system for their 2200 and 630 meter antenna systems?  Maybe a half dozen or a dozen nation wide?  In round numbers, say the best amateur antenna systems may have an efficiency of 30%.  If there really is justification to set the ERP to 5 watts , no 2200  or 630 meter amateur is permitted more than 17 watts in the feed line going to the antenna!  In my book it makes no sense to write amateur radio regulations as complex as the federal tax code where you'll need the "radio equivalent of a tax attorney" to decipher your ERP / EIRP liability and guide you through the permit / licensing maze!

That's my opinion -  I subscribe to the "KISS" principle

73 Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA