[600MRG] An antenna comparison on 80m

Neil Klagge w0yse at msn.com
Sun Apr 26 12:13:39 CDT 2015

On 25-26 April, 2015, I did a test between two receiving antennas on 80 meters using the WSPR 4 software.

1) The E-probe (PA0RDT type at 20' AGL) was fed to the FT100d tranceiver.
2)The 40 meter OCFD is drooped over the peak of the roof, which is 17' AGL (with the majority of the middle half of the wire running N/S) was fed to the FT857d tranceiver (the peak of the roof runs E/W).

Over a period of 12 hours overnight, each antenna decoded exactly 13 UNIQUE stations, but the Eprobe copied a total of only 218 decodes, compared to 257 total decodes on the OCFD.

Earlier during the day I had noticed that on 17 meters, the OCFD did FAR BETTER even on UNIQUE decodes compared to the Eprobe.

My conclusion is that the effectiveness of this eprobe drops off as frequency increases thru-out the HF bands.

My next experiment will compare the OCFD against the 40' top loaded vertical, both  receiving on 80 meters again.
*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•`   Neil, Vancouver WA

My Faith website: http://neilsfaith.webs.com/
My ham radio websites: http://w0yse.webs.com/ and http://wg2xsv.webs.com