[600MRG] Hawes Radio Antenna, Barstow CA.

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Apr 13 10:15:19 CDT 2015

I read thru the whole journal..quite long but interesting.

I lived on the west side of Barstow from 1971-76 (town of Lenwood)
which maybe 8-10 miles south of Hinkley (unsure of the distance after
so many years).  I guess I must have seen the tower but it had faded
from memory.  4-corners (Kramers corner) was where I would turn north
to head to Red Mountain community (popular rock hunter and historical
area).  I think  that road took you toward Inyokern, as well.

Like so many that were "stationed" out in the desert, driving out and
exploring was a past time (desert rat).  I bought a 1966 white
suburban in 1974 which was my rat vehicle.  It was retired Santa Fe
RR truck and suited my little family for rugged and cheap to bash
around in.  I even towed a 27-foot trailer across the US in summer of
1976 with it.

I worked for Philco-Ford at Goldstone on some other 'big
antennas".  In fall of 2001, I took a tour out at Goldstone to
revisit and see what had changed...a lot.  25 years had passed (in
2001) and I could not even find my way around Barstow so much had
changed.  Kind of had the same feelings that Jon Tolley wrote on a later visit.

Kind of hard to realize that 35-years have gone by since I left
California for the north country.  Wish I had taken more pictures.

Thanks, Paul.

73, Ed - KL7UW
pretty neat seeing the shielded loop Rx antenna, too.