[600MRG] QEX Noise Canceller

Marshall Cross mcross at megawave.com
Wed Apr 1 11:44:54 CDT 2015

Lee, I am not an expert on noise cancelling.....however back 5 or 6 years we had a contract from NAB to develop an embedded antenna for VHF/UHF DTV reception within laptop/net-book computers. The noise inside such devices at VHF and UHF is very high, even using miniature electro-statically shielded loops it still restricted coverage, so we looked for a way to cancel out the broadband noise created by the digital circuits. What we found, and conducted experiments with, was a chip made by Quellen, Santa Clara, CA. It did not require a separate noise sensing antenna in that it was simply inserted in series with the mini coax from our embedded antenna. And it really worked! So the other day when the subject of needing a second antenna (for noise sampling) with exactly the same characteristics as the main antenna came up, I remembered my work with the Quellen chip which did not require a second antenna.
Hope this helps, 73, Marshall, W1HK, #41