[600MRG] A question on receiving loops.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Sep 10 12:08:54 CDT 2014

Since I am unable to put up anything here even remotely resembling a REAL
antenna for transmitting, and since I have a really terrible noise problem on
HF from 80 meters on up....so far... I am thinking of erecting one of my
beautifully made Stoddart 36" diameter shielded loops on its 4 foot tall tripod,
connecting that to my receiver, and attempting to receive some of you folks.

The loops in question (I have several) are resonant at 500 KHz, and the
associated receivers tune them to lower frequencies, down into the VLF
region.

Perhaps  I could put the tripod on the roof and remotely rotate it from the
shack.

One of the loops had been modified a bit to enable it to connect to a receiver
through a piece of RG-58 coax in addition to the normal "twin-ax" with which
it was originally used.

Has anyone here used such a loop for receiving? If so, what were your
results? Did it make a significant difference in the ability to receive in a noisy
situation?

What can you tell me about this? Anyone?

Ken W7EKB