[600MRG] 630 meter QSOs

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Mon Sep 8 17:59:00 CDT 2014

Brian

Welcome to the list; encouraging to hear of your interest in 630M.

There are several stations successfully receiving on standard HF dipoles
(160/80/40) and other non-630M specific antennas.  Others use small
E-probes (ie. active, hi-impedance amp whips), short/long beverages,
mini loops, etc.

The TS-2000 covers LF/MF, but I don't know what the rig's sensitivity is
like down there.  Hopefully someone that owns or has used one can comment.

As a good start, tune to 477.9 CW and listen for WD2XSH/31 in Virginia.
He should be pretty good copy from your QTH.  I can also fire up on CW
upon request, should be an easy shot from WPA.

If you are familiar with using WSPR, go to 474.2 USB, get the WSPR
software running and see if you decode anyone.  Lately, there are a half
dozen guys beaconing WSPR, at least 2-3 in the NE (incl myself), that
you should be able to copy.

GL and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Absorbing information as it
flies by is fine, but much of the discussions here assume some
pre-existing knowledge and might be just confusing babble to newcomers.
However, everyone is more than willing to explain things, provide
pointers, etc., when someone inquires.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM