[600MRG] FCC action (or lack thereof) on amateur MF allocation

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Fri Sep 5 08:25:19 CDT 2014

I made contact with officials of the ARRL yesterday asking if they had any update on FCC action (or lack thereof) regarding the 630 meter band.

The answers were prompt and all expressed considerable frustration that it is taking so long.   One indicated that discussions had been had "recently" and that a representative of the Commission said a plan was in place to move ahead with decisions on both the 137 and 475 kHz proposals, but resources are limited and it is considered a lower priority than other projects such as repacking the TV bands (again?!) and the many wireless broadband proposals.

I might be mistaken, but seems like the amateur 137 and 475 kHz band issues would be pretty easily wrapped up compared to the other more controversial subjects - if it were me I'd just do them to get them off the to-do list.  But that's not always how the bureaucrats look at it I'm sure.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.