[600MRG] VK and ZL decodes

D.J.J. Ring, Jr. n1ea at arrl.net
Mon Sep 1 23:17:50 CDT 2014

During SOS of ms Prinsendam/PJTA, I took over the SOS at the request of the
chief radio officer of Prinsendam (October 4, 1980).  My main transmitter
was three 813 tubes modulated by 811 tubes with about 350 watts output.

My keying relay had failed on October 2.  Now having a spare,  I wired in
with tape and solder an octal base double pole double throw relay from the
E/R (Engine Room).  The relay was not rated at 30 wpm and quickly fatigued
and refused to key.  I had to use the ITT/MACKAY emergency transmitter with
40 watts out fully modulated.

I received confirmation this was copied at KPH during daytime (I was given
log by Hansen one of the old timers who copied the SOS for twelve hours on
his own time at KPH.

I also got confirmation from Aurawa Radio / ZLB on the south islannd of New
Zealand.

That shows what we could do.  KLB in Maryville, WA copied me all night and
all day.  KOK in Long Beach however did not hear me.

HAPPY DX GUYS!

73

David N1EA
WB2XSH/18