[600MRG] MF kenwood sensitivity question on QRP-L

kgordon2006 at frontier.com kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Oct 30 11:00:27 CDT 2014

On 30 Oct 2014 at 8:38, John Langridge wrote:

> the following was posted on QRP-L... anyone know the answer? guessing
> its just a matter of getting that attenuator out of line.

Yes. I have two TS-940s. The TS-940 has a 20 dB attenuator which is switched in when
the tuning goes below 1500 Khz. There is at least one fairly common mod to bypass
that attenuator.

It is my understanding that many (most?) modern transceivers include such an
attenuator to help prevent overload by local BC stations when tuning in that range.

I know that when I have used a TS-940 to listen below 1500 Khz, it is very obvious when
that attenuator in active.

I wouldn't doubt that the TS-140 also has the same "feature".

I thnk that mods.dk MAY have the necessary information on how to defeat this
"feature". In any case, judicious searching on the internet will eventually find it.

Ken W7EKB