[600MRG] XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sun Oct 26 12:07:24 CDT 2014

Like Neil, I've been dealing with our typical fall storms and conducting
extensive wind tunnel testing of my antennas!  In addition, after several
inches of rain my soil conductivity has increased nicely and my transmit
antenna tuning seems to have settled down.

My power was out for seven hours last evening.  That's not a serious problem
for us since we have a diesel generator unit which keeps everything going
which makes the XYL very happy but the outage, which was fairly wide spread,
provided a great opportunity to see if any of my local noise disappeared.
Sure enough things quieted down very nicely.  I need to schedule more
outages!  I was also happy to see that the generator didn't create any QRN
on it's own.

However, the most annoying QRN source was still there indicating it was from
further away.  When viewed on a waterfall I see a 4-5 "jail bars" spaced
exactly 250 Hz.  Not 240 Hz as you might expect from a rectified line
harmonic but 250 Hz.  The signal is centered close to 475 kHz although it
drifts up and down a kHz or so.  This noise is there 24/7 unlike my local
industrial noise which very politely stops for evenings and weekends.  Does
anyone have an idea what kind of machine uses 250 Hz modulation?  This
source is a limiting factor for receiving WSPR signals as one of the bars
frequently lies directly on top of a WSPR carrier.

Things are quieting down so I expect to be up this evening.

73, Rudy