[600MRG] 630M QSOs tonight

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Sun Oct 26 01:17:17 CDT 2014

Good batch of QSOs this evening on 630M.  Started with WH2XGP on JT9-1;
QSO took a few cycles longer due to RX QSB on my end.  Around 0510z, CW
QSO with WG2XIQ, good sigs and ragchew; WH2XHY broke in as we were
signing off for a brief three-way exchange.

Ran the new breadboarded MOPA rig bareboot on CW this evening; 809
Hartley osc driving push-pull 811s
(http://no3m.net/index.php?page=630m-mopa).  Reports were positive on
stability and note characteristics.  Still considering adding an 807
buffer stage between osc and amp (per circuit found in old RCA Ham Tips,
Vol 1/No 1 Sept '38 and Vol 2/No 5 Oct '39) to eliminate some effects
(amp grid tuning changes) on osc freq and note.  May also try an 807 or
other tube in the oscillator as an ECO (electron coupled osc) Hartley to
further reduce upstream tuning effects on osc.

Fun stuff.

73 Eric NO3M (WG2XJM)