[600MRG] solar eclipse this afternoon: could provide interesting 630m condx

Laurence KL7 L hellozerohellozero at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:41:53 CDT 2014

Thanks John - Ill leave XPQ up all day just in case of oddities given the Mag/Sol conditions - visual Au here last night and still a Greenish glow over most of the sky here after 0700 local with some pre dawn sky out to the East. Lake is frozen but no snow at my level yet. Just about finished all I can on the earth mat and radials....

Very odd conditions over night of course with Lead Plate in some directions (yours!) - some of the normal paths had added attenuation (in land on West coast side) but some down the sea path to California were better than anticipated. The path between here at Hawaii was better than the night before, maybe improved path ro reduced QRN at Mervs'.

On the previous night I didn't receive anyone either visually or via data on 600.... just awful

Weve had a couple of daytime flares that caused D layer enhancement (at max midpoint radiation too) and bounces enough to get a signal at 137kHz about ten years ago from here down to Northern California at local midday  but Ive not seen that level/results either at sea in my former career or from here on 600 "yet" - but with these new digital ears its a "maybe" again.

Getting really dark in the mornings here now - just need the Sol to quieten down or it will spoil my Winter

XPQ is on WSPR2 around 250W output into the just short of a Quarter wave inv L with 72ft vert section warming up the Birch trees and the worms. Also on 10/20m WSPR thru the day...

Laurence WE2XPQ Alaska