[600MRG] Polarization reception testing at W5EST

James Hollander mrsocion at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 14:51:56 CST 2014

     W5EST may not be receiving WSPR the usual way for at least the next several days.  Polarization reception testing on 630m here uses an attic-located horizontal dipole with twinlead vertically extending down to my 2nd floor shack in this hillside home.  A canceller circuit nulls differential mode signal from the dipole legs against common mode signal in the vertical twinlead.
     I'm trying to detect departures of polarization from the average polarization of an incoming 630m signal. I believe the null cancels out the average polarization to leave any departures from the average polarization visible on the receiver's spectrum display and waterfall.
    Uploads to the WSPR server from here may be absent or have unusually low SNRs during this testing.  Because the antenna is poor and this location has some noise, I can only establish a reliable null right now on very close stations like WG2XSH/15 WSPR here in Arkansas and WG2XSH/7 CW/PSK31 from  Louisiana. I'll try to improve things to receive more 630m stations this way. The nulls from these two stations occur at different canceller settings so I can only null one station at a time.
    I'm starting 24-hour reception runs on the local WG2XSH/15 signal and am storing the WSPR SNRs in a spreadsheet. The decodes are not uploaded to the WSPR central server to avoid mixing up this SNR info with data from folks who are doing reception of signals in the regular way.
    If anyone else has experience with polarization reception (polarimetry), or has any words of wisdom to impart, please reply to the reflector or let me know directly at mrsocion at aol.com.  Thanks and 73,  Jim H   W5EST