[600MRG] An LF Inverted " L " Question - Going From Lf to MF

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 16:52:46 CST 2014

I recently put up an LF receiving antenna using the loading coil from my lowFER antenna.
It is 2.3 milliHenries, and I have a 180 foot run ( the long leg of my former windom ) connected
to the top of the coil.. The coil is 16 feet AGL, and the long wire does a sagging run to its
support... The antenna seems to be resonant at 203.500 KHz, determined by using the
radios peak noise, and maximum S-meter reading.... Now.. I wanted to try the antenna
on 630 meters, and ended up using .004 µF to peak it in the 630 meter band..
Best " noise level " was obtained by using 2 - .002 µF caps parralled.. The " L " has a
slight bit more band noise than the Tree-Tenna.. Question : What kind of loss in
efficiency ( If I may call it that ) will adding the caps to bring it " UP " to MF, versus
finding a way to short out the top mounted loading coil, and loading it from the shack
when I want to use it for 630 meters...  I know how well the Tree-Tenna has performed
on 630 meters, so I'm not giving up on it, just going to experiment some more..

Thanks, and 73 :

Andy - KU4XR