[600MRG] By the way --- your receiving equipment

William E. Isakson bill.isakson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 17:23:47 CST 2014

Ken, currently I use an e-probe, FET under a 6 foot whip up about 20 feet,
to a Kenwood R-5000.   When I was still living within my transmitting area
I was using the same antenna for transmit and receive, a top loaded 18 foot
copper pipe vertical to an Icom 735.  Both work about equally well, or
badly, depending on point of view.  They are pretty good, but I currently
live not terribly far from Rudy and I know he hears stuff that I do not.
Before I moved I was working on building a direct conversion receiver for
the band and I know that would work considerably better than the commercial
receivers because I have built them for other bands and they do.   The
commercial receivers make compromises to achieve wide band reception and to
get other goodies built in and there are losses in every conversion, so the
commercials have an intermediate frequency  that the direct conversion does
not, so there is an extra loss there.  In other words, I know you can do
better than what I have for receiver.   The voltage probe antenna, though,
works at least as well as the resonant top load did for receive.
Bill
AC6QV, WD2XSH/44

--------

Bill Isakson     AC6QV