[600MRG] By the way --- your receiving equipment

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Nov 2 10:46:25 CST 2014

Roger Kuchera K1TG, who lives in CT., asked about what you fellows were
using for receiving equipment on 600 meters. I suspect his e-mail got lost in
the shuffle.

I know some of you are using various pieces of equipment, some of which
may not be common: like noise meters, etc.

Please fill him in.

Roger is a good friend of mine who has been interested in 600 meter work
for a long time. We "talk" with one another regularly.

I have several receivers here I use for 600 meters, none of which are
particularly fancy.

I have a Collins R-389, a National RBL, several RAKs, an RAL, and I use a
BC-453 with Argo and Spectran regularly. I also have several Stoddart
"Noise Meters" which cover that range, and an HP-3586 "Selective Level
Meter".

My HUGE problem here with receiving is my absolutely horrendous noise
level, which on 80 meters sits at 20dB over S-9. Although I have identified
several sources, so far, I have been unable to do anything about any of
them.

My transmitting is limited by my antenna system, which is "marginal" even for
the ham bands. But "you can't work them if you can't hear them" is the
limiting factor here.

So, if you folks would list your receiving equipment and systems for Roger,
both of us would appreciate it.

Ken W7EKB