[600MRG] last night at XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sat Nov 1 12:33:39 CDT 2014

Conditions last night were not exactly stellar but with effort I managed
four QSO's:  WG2XSV, WH2XGP,  WG2XJM and WG2XIQ.  XSV and XGP are basically
locals with big signals but the QSO's with Eric and John were tough and
fleeting but despite the conditions we did it.  Think of the fun we can have
on a good night!

After much fooling around it finally dawned on me to use my waterfall
between my beacon transmissions to watch for call backs.  That worked very
well with Eric.  The QSB was really severe so he waited until my beacon
signal peaked and then called me.  I came right back and we had a quickie
before the signals went back into the mud.  Not too bad, transcontinental on
a poor night with low power!  Today I'm going to reprogram my keyer to have
longer intervals between transmissions and I'll be much more watchful during
the breaks, both listening and watching the waterfall.

I copied Mike's (XSH/12) beacon quite well on the QSB peaks, zilch during
the lows.  VE7BDQ and VE7SL were in there also with good signals while they
worked crossband.

Tonight I'll be on again.  My thanks to you night owls in the Midwest and
east coast for staying up late while I whined about having to stay up until
11PM.

73, Rudy