[600MRG] [Lowfer] WSPR2 in SE Kansas, Mon PM

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 20 08:19:18 CDT 2014

JD and gang,

Thanks again for the details and thanks to all of the listeners! wow -  last night was epic! Noise level was moderate but conditions seemed significantly better than the previous session as I did not see the pronounced, rapid fading and "bouncing" from coast to coast.

I was on CW QSO watch with XJM and fell asleep at the operating position before the peak, or at least that appears to be the case based on Eric's last email.  As stated, noise was up a bit more than the previous session so it might not have been a total loss.

In your screen shot JD, the noise that everyone is seeing, including at my station, is very pronounced.  As long as it does not move around, I will continue to stay around 475.620.  If it become a problem, I can go a little further south of 620.

W5EST in little rock has been testing a quite impressive "minimalist" system and really doing what seems like some very good work.  His noise canceller system is apparently working quite well as he was reporting me in the +db range, best +7 db S/N for a number of cycles.  I don't know if he was modifying the bandwidth to accomplish that or not, but will probably get some details later this morning.  Whatever he did, its working!

I was very happy to see WH2XES make it into your log as well as others on his maiden voyage using WSPR.  Al, W5LUA, and Dave, WW2R, were "tweeking" the system last night (mismatched flat top 80m dipole at 85 feet (?) configured as a marconi with minimal radials) and had some interesting results.  I expect that signal will be a strong, steady fixture on the band very soon.

Also notable was XKA, who had some cross country reports by W7IUV and KE7KRF, after making significant and time consuming antenna mods yesterday.  The work sure seemed to pay off!

great to see VE7BDQ making it up the KL7.  I'm very interested in a report from Laurence about this activity.  It sure looked consistent.

Whatever is going on, I like it and it sure wasn't like this last year at this time.

I am going to run the Ultimate 3 tonight instead of the main station, back at under 10 mW ERP and probably closer to the 2 - 5 mW ERP range for tests being done at W5EST and WD5HOH.  This worked surprisingly well this past weekend and I did not burn up any pads in the process.  As before, I will not show up on the wsprnet.org map unless I am received and reported.  I should fire that up around 2000z but don't expect any realistic reports outside of ground wave before 0230z.
.
73 and again, some really sweet action late in the season.  Thanks to all that keep showing up to listen and transmit.  This is fun stuff!

John KB5NJD/WG2XIQ