[600MRG] Review of LF Today, 3rd edition

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 28 16:04:10 CDT 2014

As I stated a few weeks ago, I have purchased a copy of the 3rd edition of LF Today and will review it here.

In preparation for this review I re-read the 2nd edition, which I purchased and read originally in March 2012 prior to filing for my Part 5 experimental license.  I found the 2nd edition to be quite informative, in spite of the obvious copy editing problems.  It was my original opinion that this was a survey text designed to help an active HF ham with hints on how to be effective on 137 (and 500 KHz).   There was a clear focus on 137 Khz and 600m was more of an afterthought but still useful nonetheless.

I did not know what to expect with the 3rd edition.  The new subtitle states, "A guide to success on the bands below 1 Mhz" and an additional statement on the front cover indicates, "Includes the new 472Khz band".  Both the 2nd and 3rd editions contain ten chapters and two appendices of the same title headings.

Chapter one, "Getting started" of the 3rd edition made special effort diversify the content of the book.  While edition two specifically starts off discussing 136, the 3rd edition is much more balanced.  Much of this chapter is a true re-write.

While many of the pictures from the 2nd edition are re-used, there are many new pictures throughout the 3rd edition with updated material.  The antenna chapter looks to be almost verbatim with the exception of additions for the work of G3XBM and others in Europe in the area of earth antennas.   Additionally much of the work by GW3UEP is included in the chapter on generating a signal.  Its my understanding the the errors in the schematics in the 2nd edition have been corrected with edition three.  There are thorough discussions of tuning aids, including discussions on the scopematch and other the M0MBU tuning meter.

The section on operating modes includes both discussions of WSPR and Opera.  Much of this section is new material.  A thorough treatment of computer interfaces is also included.  The section on operating practice includes discussions of the Reverse Beacon Network and other DX spotting networks.

The section on VLF communications is only a few pages long and will no doubt stand to grow in coming editions.

It appears that many of the references and suggested readings are updated.  Many of the links in the 2nd edition were dead.

Its my opinion that this text, much like the 2nd edition, is not targeted at the established MF and LF operator.  This survey text would create a good foundation for an active HF ham interesting in trying out the new bands.  There is a good treatment of the mathematics associated with setting up an MF or LF station but I should be clear that it is not Laport or Terman.  That is not a bad thing as wading through those texts might deter the average ham.  Having completed an initial read of the text from cover to cover I am happy to have it in my library to provide to someone local that might have questions or curiosity about my operating activities.

Finally, for those curious about the length of the 3rd, its about 30 pages longer than the 2nd edition.

Questions?

73,

John KB5NJD/WG2XIQ