[600MRG] Hunting the noise source - loop mods.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Mar 15 16:46:39 CDT 2014

Today, since I am still waiting for parts for the NM-20B, I went back to that
36" Stoddart loop which I mentioned here a while back.

It had been mounted on a 12" diameter heavy steel plate, and the loop itself
had been modified. The bottom of the steel plate had been covered with a
thick piece of felt.

The loop had had a BNC connector added opposite to the original twin-ax
connector.

I had previously determined that the loop was resonant at about 500 KHz.

There had been added to the loop two switch boxes, one of which contained
a three stage FET preamp of some sort, and both of which contained the
necessary switchable capacitor bank to resonate the loop to the various
Navy VLF transmitting frequencies.

I removed those two switch boxes today, and then carefully opened up the
loop, removing the compass (on top) and the bottom cover, to discover how
it had been modified.

The tech had added the BNC connector, two resistors, and a 0.01 mfd
metalized film capacitor.

The 0.01 mfd capacitor was soldered directly to one lead of the loop
connection at one side of the twin-ax, and then a series resistor of 470 ohms
led from the other end of that capacitor to the center-conductor of the BNC
connector.

>From the OTHER loop/twin-ax connection, a 10 ohm resistor was soldered to
a ground lug which was bolted to "ground".

I then connected the BNC connector through a short length of 50 ohm coax,
as a test, to the FT-890's antenna input, tuned the FT-890 to 500 Khz, and
found a HUGE noise source.

Even in my basement shack, by rotating the loop, I found a very, very deep
null in the noise in an ESE-WNW direction. Rotating the loop 90 degrees
resulted in a very strong peak in the noise.

Although I am not one bit sure what the two resistors and the capacitor are
really doing to the loop pattern, if anything, I am going to go triangulating
anyway as soon as I reassemble the loop.

I'll build an opamp loop interface asap. But in the meantime, I suspect I will
find what I am looking for.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am thinking that I should "un-modify" the loop connections, remove all the
bits that connect to the BNC connector, revert to the twin-ax, and build that
OP-27 interface box that was suggested here.

Can anyone here foresee any bad effects by KEEPING that kludgey BNC
connection?

Ken W7EKB