[600MRG] Definition needed - V/m

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 12 22:18:50 CDT 2014

On 12 Mar 2014 at 19:47, Rudy Severns wrote:

> Ken,  the electric field intensity is given in V/m.  Here's an example of
> where that comes from:
>
> Take two parallel capacitor plates separated by a distance of d meters.
> Apply a potential of V Volts between the two plates.  The E-field intensity
> in the space between the plates (away from the edges) will simply be V/d in
> Volts per meter.
>
> When you have a instrument like the Stoddart or  other field intensity
> measuring instruments, you have to have an associated calibrated antenna.
> These usually are sold with the instrument as accessories and come in a
> variety of sizes depending on the frequencies of interest.

Well, I have at least two of those for the NM-20B, Rudy. Should work just
fine.

Right now, I am finishing refurbishing the AC supply. As soon as I get it
finished, I am going hunting. :-)

BTW, the large Stoddart loops I have, which are part of the AN/URM-6(*)
or NM-10 just happen to be resonant at 503 KHz.

The NM-10 tunes from 14 Khz through 250 Khz, but I'll connect the loop to
my MF receiver. I think it will be a big help here.

The only question I have is whether to mount the loop on the roof here
(with rotator) or much closer to the ground.

Might you have a suggestion about this?

Ken W7EKB